|Object Name||Box, Ballot|
|Title||Circular Ballot Box|
|Artist||Walter, Thomas Ustick|
|Description||Circular, rotating mahogany box containing twelve, wedge-shaped, cock-beaded drawers with brass ring pulls. A round, covered box is attached to the top and holds the ballots before they are cast. Above each drawer is a hole into which voters would drop their ballot. Each hole is marked with a brass number.|
In the early 19th century, private ballot voting began to replace show-of-hands and vocal voting in America. From 1808 until 1840, the APS received several ballot boxes designed to assist in the election of new members. Thomas U. Walter presented this circular box, which contained twelve separate compartments allowing members to vote on multiple candidates at once. At its donation, the APS declared the box "beautiful and ingeniously contrived." Walter, a Philadelphia architect who designed the Moyamensing Prison and Founder's Hall at Girard College, served as architect of the United States Capitol from 1851 to 1865.
|Dimensions||H-10 Dia-18 inches|
|Dimension Details||Height incl. top|
|Credit line||American Philosophical Society|